Thread: AR15 barrel nut

Post Thanks / Like

AR15 barrel nut

I was installing a Samson Evo rail on an Adams Arms AR15 the other day at my local LGS and was have a bit of a problem getting the barrel nut off. I was using a 25 in breaker bar and jumping up and down on it, no luck. The shop owner took it back to AA to have them loosen it up.
    Well that was yesterday morning and I don't feel so bad now, AA couldn't get it off either and giving it a try they replaced the upper with a new one and I finished up the install yesterday afternoon.

Oh, and as an aside, while AA's customer service is really top notch their QC hasn't been all that great but they seem to want to up their game, the recently fired their QC guy, hopefully the replacement will do a better job.
    Member COTEP CBOB0772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

2. Likes sig232 , Rick McC.  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like that sucker got welded on or corroded from the Florida sunshine. Surprised you could hold it in the vice with a 25" breaker bar.

Glad they replaced it for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    They must have used Red Loctitie! A little heat always works for me. Had pull out my heat gun on a barrel nut this past weekend. If the heat gun doesn't work, then I hit it with the blow torch which never fails. But I never use Red Loctitie on my builds.

5. Likes sig232  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ed308 View Post
    They must have used Red Loctitie! A little heat always works for me. Had pull out my heat gun on a barrel nut this past weekend. If the heat gun doesn't work, then I hit it with the blow torch which never fails. But I never use Red Loctitie on my builds.
    Only use the Red Loctite on your Harley with the Evo Engine since if you don't it will vibrate all the part off as you ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ed308 View Post
    Nope, my LGS talked to Cody and they don't use anything on the barrel nut. They have no idea how it could have frozen so tight. I'd had issues in the past with one of their barrel nuts but in that case Cody was able to free it, this time they replaced the upper since they couldn't get it off either. I've done a few other AA's and they are always really tight but nothing like this one. Also I've never seen any evidence of locktite or anything else on the barrel nut .
    Member COTEP CBOB0772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry