Post Thanks / Like

Are You Handy? Fix You Own A/C?

Many times when your outside compressor unit and fan will not kick on its due to a defective capacitor on the unit. There is a panel, on the side where the Freon lines come in that can be removed exposing that little gem. Most are dual purpose, they start the outside fan and the compressor.If you have some mechanical fix it ability you can replace this item very easily with some nut-drivers/screwdriver and a pair of pliers.

It can cost you big money to have the A/C mechanic come out to do the job, maybe $300 plus, unless you have a close friend that can do it for you. Many times they will try to sell you a new compressor and dryer for about $2,000..The part is available on Amazon for between $16 and $25. Just have to get the specs off the old unit and put your order in. Or run down to your local appliance parts place and get one for $50+.

Watch the U-Tube video to insure you do it right and safely. You must shut off your breaker in your panel first, its a 220 breaker, then turn off your thermostat in the house. Also as a double check pull the outside breaker on the box next to the outside A/C unit thats mounted to the house. Its code, they are on all homes.

Took me 15 min to pull the three terminals and put in the new unit. The capacitor is clearly marked for the Fan/herm (compressor) and common (power). Transfer leads one at a time if you are unsure about getting wires crossed. Normally the fan lead is always brown, the compressor blue and common yellow but yours could be different. A capacitor can hold a charge and give you a shock so your want to take a screwdriver, holding the plastic handle and touch the common terminal to each of the other leads to dissipate any charge.

One of those easy fixes that many that have some mechanical ability can do themselves. Again the U-Tube videos are excellent on this fix and will show you how to save a bundle if that is your problem.

You can also service the fan motor on your outside unit very easily, buy a replacement and pop it in with little difficulty. Watch the U-Tube video to learn the drill, cut off the power as explained above and do the fix yourself.

Messing with any of the coils or inside air handler fan is best left to the experts. Requires a license to play with the refrigerant.
    Last edited by sig232; 06-05-2017 at 07:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're 100% right......I take a photo with my phone of whatever part I'm working on so I'll have some documentation as to where the connections go, then remove the part, get the part numbers off the side and then purchase and reinstall per my photo...

Sometimes with all the lightening we're having I have to go to the unit and just find the reset button.....that service call is worth about $100....
    Bob
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terrorism - its coming to a mall near you.....

3. Likes sig232  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just make a call.

My son's the service manager for Schmitt, Inc., but did repairs and installs for several years prior to making manager.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

5. Likes Rangedog  liked this post
    Thanks sig232  thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used to repair pretty much everything but I find as I got older I'm more inclined to make a phone call. Better that than be laid up from to much bending and twisting.
    Member COTEP CBOB0772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

7. Likes Rick McC. , Rangedog , sig232  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
    I used to repair pretty much everything but I find as I got older I'm more inclined to make a phone call. Better that than be laid up from to much bending and twisting.
    I just get out my nice home depot knee pad and call for the wife when I need to get back up. (joke!)