Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hurricane Harvey & Now Irma!

I remember Don (BangBang) telling me about 4 years ago that if a Cat 3 or above Hurricane is coming to visit pack up and get the heck outa Dodge.

So, we can see what 40-50 inches of rain can do to any area. I suppose all you can do is double plastic bag all items of value that you cannot carry with you and put them in the attic, maybe tarp them too then pack the car and go.

It is amazing that in Texas they have so many boats and individuals helping people stranded get out of their flooded homes the flooded streets look like boat highways.

I am sure we can all learn some important lessons from this storm which would help us react if found in the same situation.

Your thoughts??
    Last edited by sig232; 09-05-2017 at 06:23 AM.

2. Likes Rick McC.  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paula and I helped friends who lived on Pine Island after the no name storm hit in 1993; basically cleaning up and throwing away everything that was on the first floor, or at ground level.

I found the neighbors steel canister containing all of their important documents at the bottom of the adjacent canal, right next to their hot water heater. They spent the night with the wife standing on the toilet, and the husband wedging his body between the front of the toilet and the bathroom door, to keep the wave action from pounding it in.

I worked disaster relief for three weeks following hurricane Charley, down in eastern Polk and DeSoto counties.

Those were very hard times for a lot of people, and the recovery time for those communities was measured in years.

It'll take many years for the areas devastated by Harvey to recover.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

4. Likes Rangedog  liked this post
    Thanks sig232  thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's a run on gas out here in north Texas. 10-15 minute lines to get gas. Prices has started go up too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ed308 View Post
    There's a run on gas out here in north Texas. 10-15 minute lines to get gas. Prices has started go up too.
    Looks like a lot of the local refinery capacity is down for a while so I guess thats what is driving up the gas prices.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Price in southern NH is up .50 a gallon in the last two days. None of the gas here comes from Texas!

8. Likes Rangedog  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was in Homestead at sunrise the day after Andrew. Never saw such destruction.....in some instances my mind wouldn't accept what my eyes were seeing. Altho I knew Homestead pretty well since I had done a lot of consulting there, I easily became disoriented as all the street signs and landmarks that I was familiar with were GONE!!!!!....completely gone, bank buildings, restaurants, car dealerships.....only thing left were concrete pads where buildings once existed.

If a cat 4 comes in leave town.....if a cat 5 comes in....leave town and prepare to start a new life elsewhere!!!!!! I understand that if you don't have flood insurance FEMA will not help you......and 85% of homeowners don't have flood insurance......its so expensive the average home owner can't afford it.

Lets hope it goes out to sea!!!!
    Bob
    NRA Certified Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terrorism - its coming to a mall near you.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangedog View Post
    I was in Homestead at sunrise the day after Andrew. Never saw such destruction.....in some instances my mind wouldn't accept what my eyes were seeing. Altho I knew Homestead pretty well since I had done a lot of consulting there, I easily became disoriented as all the street signs and landmarks that I was familiar with were GONE!!!!!....completely gone, bank buildings, restaurants, car dealerships.....only thing left were concrete pads where buildings once existed.

If a cat 4 comes in leave town.....if a cat 5 comes in....leave town and prepare to start a new life elsewhere!!!!!! I understand that if you don't have flood insurance FEMA will not help you......and 85% of homeowners don't have flood insurance......its so expensive the average home owner can't afford it.

I assume you are talking about the new one Irma. Gov Scott already declared an emergency for all counties of Florida. Looks like one heck of a nasty hurricane with anywhere from Cat 4 to Cat 6 being discussed. I too hope it goes out to sea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the latest on Irma as of Tue morning:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...e-now/70002631

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangedog View Post

We have HO and flood insurance on both of our places.
    "Sights are for the unenlightened."

Rick

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer