Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Post Thanks / Like
    Our community got hammered pretty well although withing 20 miles of us in many directions it was worse. House is unscathed - our wood fence was blown down but my wife and I (on our own) got it back up Tues. Had to close it up because of the pool. My son's house was a wreck. 2 oaks fell on it. Glad most of you are in decent shape. (our power was out only 44 hours no big deal)
    “The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail… the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation.”
    -- Jeff Cooper

Post Thanks / Like
    my Generac home backup generator ran the way it was suppose to. I went to NY to see mama got back today the log says that it came on last Friday at 1703 and stop at 0926 this Friday i am the only one that have not clean my yard wet must do that tomorrow and call the propane man to make sure that tank is refill to the top
    Governments are ravenous for revenue to fund the promises that purchase votes.

3. Likes sig232  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rzach View Post
    my Generac home backup generator ran the way it was suppose to. I went to NY to see mama got back today the log says that it came on last Friday at 1703 and stop at 0926 this Friday i am the only one that have not clean my yard wet must do that tomorrow and call the propane man to make sure that tank is refill to the top

Guess thats the setup we all need if we want to avoid the hassles of dealing with no power and/or dragging around a portable generator to power the fridge and a few other necessities. But of course your setup cost an arm and a leg to purchase and install. Portable A/C runs $300 to $1000 and a whole house auto system has to be over $5000.++

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing like a good storm to get your priorities straight. I've burned close to 50 gal of fuel so far and going out this morning for 20 more. Electric co was in the area yesterday scoping out the damage so maybe we will be powered up soon. I prep for 10 days min without elec after a storm.

6. Likes sig232  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JSM180 View Post
    Nothing like a good storm to get your priorities straight. I've burned close to 50 gal of fuel so far and going out this morning for 20 more. Electric co was in the area yesterday scoping out the damage so maybe we will be powered up soon. I prep for 10 days min without elec after a storm.
    Thats a lot of gasoline. Friends in Texas said that getting gas for the generator became a big priority. Few of us stock more that a few cans of gas before these events. I probably had 10 gallons and figured I would take gas out of my cars if needed for the generator if down for an extended period. Your post shows a need for additional reserves.

What kind of generator were you fueling??

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ours is a Generac 16KW propane fired unit hard wired with an automatic start and transfer switch. It has a dedicated 250 gallon propane tank which would run it for a week or more depending on the load. It probably cost around $10M installed. The good news is the guy who built the house 10 years ago paid the bill!

9. Likes sig232  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sig232 View Post
    Thats a lot of gasoline. Friends in Texas said that getting gas for the generator became a big priority. Few of us stock more that a few cans of gas before these events. I probably had 10 gallons and figured I would take gas out of my cars if needed for the generator if down for an extended period. Your post shows a need for additional reserves.

What kind of generator were you fueling??
    I have a 7500w Generac that I power the house with and 2 Honda 2000's for the fifth wheel. 10 gal of fuel would not get me through 2 days. I looked into the whole house Generac units but with the fuel burn up around 3-4 gal/hr and the purchase price I think I am better off with the portable units. The big advantage to the whole house units are they work when you are not home. For that reason we don't keep the fridge or freezer full during hurricane season. We got our power back at 4 pm yesterday, 6 days 20 hrs without elect.

11. Thanks sig232  thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I sure feel for folks that had no power for almost a week. Thats has got to be a struggle in this summer heat in addition to keeping food cold in the fridge. I for one hope to learn from this and will make an effort to be better prepared for the next storm. Some prep I did was total overkill and I also forgot about some important prep work.

Across the street is a home that is owned by a single male that does the snowbird thing. Up in Mass for the summer and comes down around Nov 1st for the winter. He let a retired lady friend whose mobile home was destroyed by a felled tree move in this week to his vacant home. She had no insurance on her older mobile home and is homeless. He had friends rent a van and pick up all her things and move them into his home on Saturday. A super guy for sure. Florida folks help their neighbors.

Post Thanks / Like
    The high water threw me a curve ball, the building my camper was in was surrounded by 2' of water and I had to wait 2 days for the level to drop enough to get it out. Luckily the temps were low enough the first 2 nights that it was bearable without ac.

When the storm hit I had 30 gals of gas in cans, 10 gal of diesel in cans, and 3 30 lb propane tanks full. Plus all the gens, vehicles and tractor were full of fuel. When Andrew went thru places were without power for over a month.

14. Thanks sig232  thanked for this post