Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update: We are still in McDonough, at least until tomorrow AM. Mom says Power is still on but Cable is out, in our neighborhood. So far, all is well.
    This is not a Bakery. I do not sugar coat anything.
    If you ask for my opinion, that is what you will get.
    Do Not be mad, when it is not what you want to hear.

If you have a problem with me, Call Me.
    If you do not have my number, you are not
    close enough to me for me to care if you
    have a problem with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well all I can say is we were very lucky. Never lost power during the storm and just sat up half the night watching it on TV. Hardly any damage in our development. Some limbs down but that about it. Took two hours to remove all that duct tape around the doors and windows.. Had wrapped upholstered furniture in painters plastic and long guns in large garbage bags. Did not have to depend on the generators or block ice. I do know a lot of folks lost power in different parts of the state.

Wifes sister lives in a mobile home park and they lost power, water and sewage. Its still off as far as I know, she is staying with us until it comes back on. Friends on the coast were on Generators as of Monday.

Has Rick checked in? He is on a waterway in a flood prone area.

3. Likes ed308  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am 6 mi east of Zhills north of Rockridge Rd. Power went out at 8pm, lot of trees down but no damage to house. Water everywhere but receding. Could have been a lot worse. The hum of generators is in the air. Cell signal comes and goes, copper wire dsl is work fine. Just keep repeating, "It's better than shoveling snow".

5. Likes sig232  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My sister got power back to her home in Clearwater this afternoon. Saw a report on Fox where 25% of all home in the Keys are destroyed with 90% homes have damage. Also read a news article if the storm had been 25 further west, the damage to the west coast of Florida would've been catastrophic. Tampa Bay dodge a bullet, again.

7. Likes sig232  liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    We arrived home on Wednesday, about 3:15 PM, after a stop at BangBang's abode to pick up my wife's cat, and leave them a cooler with lots of Ice. They have no power. We never lost power, but the Internet was down until we awoke this morning. Our Cell phones work at home, but only because of our internet. Apparently the closest Cell Tower is without power or damaged. We have no damage except a few limbs down. Our cleanup should be finished before noon.

have a problem with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

The eye of Irma practically passed over our area and we never lost power. Did not board up either, but duct taped the heck out of the door seams and window. Lucky, lucky, lucky is all I can say. Not a limb down in the yard.

I had done the garbage wrap of all my long guns and handguns. Loaded up the Mini-14 and Mini-30 to greet looters, fired up my generators to make sure they were running, stocked up on water and food way ahead of time. Had lots of gas stored.

Took three days to undo all my prep work.

Next time I will be even better prepared.

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a ride east on 54 and down 98 if you want to see the difference 10 miles make. We lost power at 8pm sunday and by 1am it was crashing pretty good. I've been here since '93 and had not seen this much water on the ground. Where there isn't water, the ground is covered with a blanket of limbs and pine needles. The pines did really well, the oaks are either on the ground or stripped of branches. No damage to any buildings or house, I got the 5th wheel out and hooked up wed. so we have ac, life is good. Be safe everyone, cleanup kills more than the storm.

11. Likes sig232  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We lost our power on Sunday and still have none today. Electric company says maybe Monday or Tuesday. Lost three big trees and they took down a bunch of fence when they went down. Without electric we have nothing, Waters out satellites out everything is out. We have a generator and we run it at night so it's cool enough to sleep but it uses a lot of gas so we don't try and run it during the day. Gas and Ice are hard to come by. We lost a freezer full of meat that went bad and what was in the refrigerator and perishable went bad. We have plenty of bottled water and we have canned food so we're not hungry.

Anybody coming by my house that has any ice or gas I would love to see it.

Don
    N.R.A Member
    N.R.A Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol and Home Firearm Safety
    Oath Keeper
    U.S. Army Veteran

I collect Rimfire Firearms (.17 HMR, 5 mm Magnum, 5 mm Craig , 6 mm Flobert, .22 LR, and .22 Magnum), especially Mossberg's. I look for old, different, unique, or rare rifles and handguns in any rimfire caliber as well as parts. If you have anything in this category you want to sell or trade please e-mail me at fatboyflorida@gmail.com or PM me here on the forum.

13. Likes JimmyA , sig232  liked this post
    Thanks sig232  thanked for this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don, sorry to hear you're still without power. It's no fun. That happened to us when Wilma went through Marco in 05. We were able to run the generator in the boat and run long extension cords to keep the fridges cold. We arrived back here late Wednesday night and found everything in pretty good shape. Our backup generator ran for almost two days but power was back when we arrived. It runs on propane, which is expensive but it eliminates the search for gas at a critical time. We left southern NH a week ago Wed in our coach when the hurricane hype all started and waited out the storm near Knoxville. Traffic on the two day trip from there was horrible with everyone headed back. It will take another day to get everything back to near normal. We can thank the Calusa gods that the storm moved fast and deteriorated as quickly as it did. It could have been a lot worse!!

15. Likes sig232  liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    As of this evening, BangBang's power is back on. The stuff we brought home with us on Wednesday was put right into out freezer, and we will be taking it back tomorrow afternoon, when I go to retrieve my Harley.

have a problem with me.

17. Likes waltherppk , JimmyA  liked this post
    Thanks JSM180  thanked for this post