Post Thanks / Like

Share some hurricane tips....

I'm sure many have tips that they have learned or picked up from others...

If so, it may benefit those on this forum to share those tips and make things a bit easier.

Here are a few things I have learned from past storms.....

Since it is actually more dangerous to tape windows (that only produces larger shards of flying glass) a good way to protect from flying glass in your home if a window should be broken by wind is to hang a blanket inside the window. If the window breaks the blanket will absorb the broken pieces of glass and prevent them from hurting those in the building.

If you have papers or things you want to keep dry put them in your dishwasher and seal the door just as if you were going to wash dishes. The dishwasher will keep water out.

Even if you freeze bottles of ice in your freezer there is still wasted space. Use that space by filling quart and gallon zip lock bags half full of water and stuffing them in the available spaces.

I hope this helps someone and if you have tips please share.

Don
    N.R.A Member
    N.R.A Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol and Home Firearm Safety
    Oath Keeper
    U.S. Army Veteran

I collect Rimfire Firearms (.17 HMR, 5 mm Magnum, 5 mm Craig , 6 mm Flobert, .22 LR, and .22 Magnum), especially Mossberg's. I look for old, different, unique, or rare rifles and handguns in any rimfire caliber as well as parts. If you have anything in this category you want to sell or trade please e-mail me at fatboyflorida@gmail.com or PM me here on the forum.

2. Likes sig232 , Rangedog , Rick McC.  liked this post
    Thanks Rangedog , Rick McC.  thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't have one already stashed in the garage, a portable window A/C unit will cool a single room quite nicely so you can get some much needed SLEEP at night.

Most generators will have enough power for it and they are cheap to buy.

It was the only thing that was missing from my emergency rig when Charlie blew through and I immediately bought one once things returned to normal.

We've had power outages lasting a few days here during some tropical storms and it really came in handy after a hard August day of clearing debris and getting stuff done all day long.

Don't laugh. Getting more than two hours of sleep after a hurricane is a good thing, especially about the third day or so.

AD
    NRA Instructor/Safety Officer
    IDPA Safety Officer
    Glock Armorer
    Open Carry Advocate
    USPSA/IDPA/ICORE

4. Likes sig232  liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ADulay View Post
    If you don't have one already stashed in the garage, a portable window A/C unit will cool a single room quite nicely so you can get some much needed SLEEP at night.

Most generators will have enough power for it and they are cheap to buy.

It was the only thing that was missing from my emergency rig when Charlie blew through and I immediately bought one once things returned to normal.

We've had power outages lasting a few days here during some tropical storms and it really came in handy after a hard August day of clearing debris and getting stuff done all day long.

Don't laugh. Getting more than two hours of sleep after a hurricane is a good thing, especially about the third day or so.

AD
    I agree with your suggestion. We lost our A/C this summer and had to install a new one. I had one of the stand alone units in my garage that I installed in the Master Bedroom and it sure made life much more comfortable when the summer heat was at a max in August. Otherwise I would have been off to a motel.

Not sure how long we could run one with the power off though. Takes a lot of gas to keep the generator going for days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don had told me a couple of year ago that you can bring in your solar yard lights at night to give you some light before bedtime with the power is off. No batteries needed.

I too think its a good idea to have a large roll of painters plastic that you can use to cover your best furniture in the event you get a roof leak. Tarps are good too, I see those are sold out at home depot in one day.

A few sandbags to put at the outside base of your sliders can prevent the wind whipped rain from pushing water under your slider door.

Plywood all gone at the box stores? You could use your interior doors to cover windows in a pinch if a window is broken and the wind and rain is driving in. Make sure you have the proper concrete screws, drill bit and battery powered drill to fix them in place.

Can't find the bottled water we all love? Fill containers from your tap, brita water filter, or refrigerator water tap and put them up for storage. Milk gallon jugs work well for this.